Nightmares and the paranormal

Paraseek.com Discussion Forum: General Paranormal Discussions: Nightmares and the paranormal
By Anonymous on Friday, March 9, 2001 - 12:57 pm:

I'm looking for information related to the topic of night terrors and demons. In particular, I am wanting to hear from anyone who has any information about something called the "mommunia" (I'm not positive on the spelling). I belive it is the name for some sort of demon or night terror phenomenon, but I don't know from which culture or country it is based. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

By CrisYouSasyMedic on Monday, July 23, 2001 - 03:22 am:

I'm not sure if this is the kind of story you are looking for, but I had a dream. not really a nightmare, although it was scary. Real short. I had a ghost pass right through my body, I felt the wind and the queezy feeling when it went through. I woke up scared. That's the extent.

By T.S. Hudson on Sunday, July 29, 2001 - 02:29 pm:

Why do you ask people such things? Curious, are you searching for answers or what?

By MALEIFCIA on Sunday, October 21, 2001 - 05:02 am:

The only nightmare demons I know of are the incubus and succubus...I read up on nightmares in the encyclopedia of witchcraft and demonology...I reccomend reading the book and having it in your own personal library for future endevores...MALEIFCIA "smile"

By GOTHCHICK on Monday, February 11, 2002 - 05:10 pm:

Hey! that book is at MY library ! I should probly chek that out. - GOTHCHICK

By Brian on Monday, February 11, 2002 - 09:02 pm:

i looked at www.dictionary.com, couldnt find anything close to it. but, um, ill look around when im not so busy, i got 3 projects to do. sorry... :(

why do you need to know?

By Baby on Saturday, April 6, 2002 - 02:20 am:

i had the same dream as cris,
when i woke up i was really scared, freezing, and dizzy.. yea, it was really weird! i coulda sworn i had happened, had i not woken upright when i went through her(the ghost)it must be the most detailed dream ive ever had, and really real too- i don't know if that's what you want.. but,luvs ya,
baby~

By Devshb on Saturday, April 27, 2002 - 08:19 pm:

one interesting facet which explains most waking-night-terrors (and which I've had a few times myself) is:

a strange state of mind, where you awake directly from the deep stages of r.e.m. sleep (ie without going through shallower stages first), and so physically/neurologically your body thinks you're still asleep, but your eyes are open and you can consciously see things in the room.

However, you're still partially dreaming, and so aspects of your dream are woven into your conscious awareness (and vice-versa).

At the same time, your body is paralysed (a protection mechanism to stop yourself from flailing when having vivid dreams).

The combination of being paralysed, feeling completely conscious even though you're still partially dreaming, and a general sense of terror that accompanies such mind-states, leads to an indescribably horrific night-terror where the most you can manage to do is utter a gutteral sound from the back of your throat as your eyes and the back of your throat are the only things which remain unparalysed.

The feeling of a presence being in the room is almost always part of this mind-state, too. And most of the time you'll see someone lurking silently somewhere in the room.

It's not paranormal; it's just a neurological/physical quirk which happens sometimes.

But whatever you believe it is, you should believe two things; it feels very real, and it is absolutely petrifying beyond belief.

Sometimes you revert to your sleeping state and just remember it as a very vivid dream when you wake up the next morning. And sometimes your sleeping state ebbs away and you continue to be conscious, in which case it then feels as if it was a real event and that you did see someone in the room.

The most frightening one I had was where I was paralysed when I "woke up", and all I could move was my eyes (and even that was a tremendous effort). I looked towards the bedroom door, and saw a young man in a baseball cap and jeans and a sweatshirt (about 18ish) standing silently by the door, just staring intently at me with a completely blank expression. He realised that I was paralysed and just stood by the door pondering how he was going to kill me (or so it felt). I couldn't move, or even scream, and it felt totally real (I thought he was a burglar). All I could do was make some strange kind of gargling noise in the back of my throat, which slowly turned into a groan as I began waking up more. Finally, the sleeping state was left behind, my paralysis suddenly broke, and I switched on the light. Obviously I checked the house, but there was nobody there (and no evidence of anyone being there).

It was very scary. But a real rush, too, in a warped kind of way.

By RUTH DEWEESE on Wednesday, May 14, 2003 - 02:43 am:

LAST MAY I WAS AWAKENED, EYES WIDE OPEN, PARALYZED UNABLE TO MOVE EXCEPT FOR MY EYES. I LOOKED TO MY LEFT AND SAW A MOST BEAUTIFUL MALE FIGURE WHO I INTERPRETED AS AN ANGEL. HE GLOWED, HAD A SINCERE LOOK ON HIS FACE AND DID NOT SPEAK A WORD BUT.. I COMMUNICATED WITH HIM TELEPATHACLY. I FELT TREMENDOUS FEAR. I LOOKED TO MY RIGHT THEN LOOKED TO THE LEFT PAST THE FIGURE. MY CLOCK ON MY DRESSER READ 2:02. I THOUGHT HE WAS GOING TO HARM ME, I SQUEEZED MY EYES SHUT AND WHEN I REOPENED MY EYES THE FIGURE WAS GONE. I LOOKED AT THE CLOCK AGAIN, IT WAS BLURRY I DID NOT HAVE MY CONTACTS IN AND I AM VERY NEARSIGHTED. I AROSE FROM MY BED WALKED APPROXIMATELY 7-8 FEET TO MY DRESSER. IT WAS 2:02. I NEVER TOLD ANYONE UNTIL LATER. BUT I MOVED FROM THAT APARTMENT. I FELT IT WAS A WARNING. I HAD NO OTHER EXPLANATION. I WENT WITH MY INSTINCT. TO THIS DAY I AM GLAD I MOVED. BUT I STILL DONT KNOW WHY.

By Paraseek Webmaster (Admin) on Monday, May 19, 2003 - 11:05 am:

The "freezing" in bed situation seems to be very common.

I think it can be attested to the brain not fully able to cope with what is going on coming out of a very deep REM sleep.

By Bret on Thursday, July 31, 2003 - 02:43 pm:

i once had a dream where i was going somewhere and i was gonna go to the bathroom and im like is anybody gonna turn the lights on? noone did iwas goin and a ghost came outta the shower went throught me and i got the chills and i woke up shaking and very hot

By GHOST HUNTER on Friday, September 12, 2003 - 04:08 am:

hello I am looking to start up a ghost hunting group,and is there anyone who would like to join. I myself am studying parapsycology,and have been doing research on haunted houses and ghosts.so if you would like to join email me at romeobearra@wmconnect.com
CIAO
GHOST HUNTER

By Bonitabonita on Saturday, December 27, 2003 - 06:43 pm:

The sleep terrors you are talking about are an uncommon phenomena called "hypnogogic hallucinatory sleep paralysis." There's a good amount of info on it online... I discovered it myself while trying to figure out why I had "hallucinations" at night. Even the medical sights say that it is basically a weird thing that seems to happen to many people in a small area at one time. Weird.

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"