fear is mildly entertaining, though rather dissapointing

Paraseek.com Discussion Forum: Fanzone: Scare Tactics AND MTV's Fear: fear is mildly entertaining, though rather dissapointing
By Anonymous on Monday, April 9, 2001 - 01:15 am:

the best thing about fear is the background information you get on the site they are investigating, and yes fear is entertaing enough to watch although i cringe sometimes at mtvs insensitive treatment of the spirits who may be trapped there. one of the repeating dares on the show is to go to a location and try to "release the spirit" however when they go there they dont actually do anything for the spirit and in some cases may be doing more harm.i'am by no means an expert but i have had a lifelong interest in the subject of the paranormal, and any one with any commonsense should not be trying to "release" spirits without sufficient training.afterall these spirits were once live human beings and as such deserve better treatment. i would really like to see mtv treat the subject of the paranormal in a much more mature and professional manner. the show would be much more realistic and perhaps even more frightening that way.and i must say i agree wholeheartedly with kelly weaver's assesment of the show.

By Anonymous on Monday, April 9, 2001 - 08:05 pm:

The info actually comes from her husband who was there with her.

As far as the danger goes, I think you are correct. The producers seem to be taking more than a casual view on a what are in certain situations very dangerous matters. It is truly only a matter of time before we hear someone getting hurt at filming, perhaps seriously. And this would be a shame because I'm sure MTV would immediately shut things down at that point.

There have been certain situations where I have been shocked at what they had the kids do. For instance, having one locked in a cell all night without food or water was a little too extreme. What if he was diabetic or something, or had a heart attack, or anything. No one would have known. On another occassion they had one of them climb a multi-story platform at night. With little protection and no safety he could have easily fallen to his death.

By Sara Bernard on Tuesday, April 10, 2001 - 04:35 pm:

Although this show is somewhat entertaining, I also find it dissapointing and even somewhat offensive. On a recent episode, where the contestants were taken to that campsite, I thought alot of the content shown was not only disgusting but false.
One example is the use of the Pentagram (five pointed star inside a circle) in the show, The Pentagram itself is a symbol of many Wiccan faiths, each point corresponding with the elements, earth , air, fire, water and spirit.
The people interviewed on that Fear episode falsely stated that this pentagram was the symbol of evil and satan. When in fact, most people know that the inverted pentegram (two points at top and one point on the bottom)is the version that the satanists use. I was angry that the people on the episode of Fear did not bother to explain that, and in fact they used a normal pentagram in their show.
I was also distressed to see the scene where the girl had to chop off the head of the dead chicken, the show narrators then went on to describe how satanist and pagans often use blood in their rituals....While I know this is mostly true for Satanists, it is NOT true for Pagans. I don't know of any fellow pagans out there who use blood or dead animals in their spiritual work.
Episodes like that continue to present the belief to the public that there is something wrong with being Pagan, and that we are evil and in the same category as Satanists. Not only is that not true, it's blatantly insulting.
Another thing, people don't understand that there are just some forces you shouldn't mess with.
I have seen people on the Fear show deliberately try to provoke spirits into showing up. Even if they are evil.
I wish that the producers of this show would realize that in doing alot of these things, they can put their contestants in great spiritual and physical danger.
I hope that things change.....By the way, I do find Fox Family Channel's "Scariest Places on Earth" a bit more interesting and entertaining.

By Kriss on Tuesday, April 10, 2001 - 04:59 pm:

I am Kriss Stephens, the paranormal investigator for MTVs FEAR. I started with them during production of the second season, which includes the USS Hornet, Fort Gaines, Eastern State Penitentiary and the plantation which will be airing Sunday.

I am involved with the scientific aspect of things, but I am some-what of a medium. The places we just shot are haunted. I was given free reign at these locations to investigate however I wanted. I have some great photos and video because of this. But, this is a television program, and the main thing they are interested in is entertainment value. While I think a digital camera sweep, motion detectors and thermal imaging are called for at each location in the dares, the fact is they dont want to be repetitive. I would love to have the cast do an extensive investigation at each location. Hopefully this time around we will get to do more.

I agree with all of you, some of the dares are dangerous, and I try my best to keep things as safe as possible. The bottom line is the more terrified the cast members are, the more entertaining the show is.

At the beginning of FEAR, most of the crew didnt believe in ghosts. That has changed over the life of this show, and I think the content will reflect that change.

I am hoping to play a bigger part with this season. If you would like to help me change things please write on the message board for MTVs FEAR, at www.mtv.com The producers do read the message board. You can also email me and I will be glad to forward your comments to the producers.

As for Foxs show, the two are totally different. We arent making a documentary of hauntings. I have to tell you guys, I know some of the places Fox has taped, and most of thier "facts" are blatently untrue.

These are my views, I dont want anyone to think this is how the rest of the crew of FEAR feels. Wish me luck with this season, and do you know of any really scary, really big locations?

By Matthew on Wednesday, April 18, 2001 - 06:14 pm:

Personally i dont believe a single thing i see on "Fear" i have seen ONE event that qualifies as "Somewhat peculiar" (A door Slamming was caught on Tape at Magnolia Plantation)
That being said, remember, the name of the Show is "Fear" and Not "Ghosts" Its funny what fear will put into your head, its a brilliant concept actually, Give them some frightening story, then send them into a dark place alone... of COURSE youll come up with SOMETHING in your head. Dont you think its odd that they tell the person all the gory details of the "event" that took place there? If it was a true Study, youd want people with no knowledge of the events so they could do an unbiased study.
Also.. can we get some folks with some "Cohones" on this show? Half of the people on there are bowing out the moment they hear what they have to do. Id LOVE to go on this show but id be boring! Id fall asleep in the coffin, tombstone whatever... Plus MTV does not believe that anyone over the age of 25 exists!!!!

By Melissa on Wednesday, April 25, 2001 - 12:44 am:

"Fear" is interesting to watch, I'll admit, but there are some things that are questionable. I'm sure once that episode with the dead chicken and the pentacle was aired, Pagans left messages like crazy. And, being a PAGAN myself, I'm here to join them.
Pentacles are not evil! Do some research, instead of offending an entire religion. That's like saying a cross is evil. It's just another symbol. And why did they even bother with the chicken thing? Cutting its head off? Really. That was extremely disappointing. The only effect that could've possibly had was to stir up any ill-begotten entities in the area, and possibly make the contestants wet their pants.
Yes, the places MTV chose were most likely "haunted." Anyone who knows anything about hauntings know that the spirits are there for a reason. Why not try and help them, instead of offering them...dead animal heads? Come on, that would piss anyone off.

By Melissa on Wednesday, April 25, 2001 - 01:02 am:

P.S. I agree with everything Matthew said. Throw 4 or 5 hooded youths into a terrifying environment, tell them spooky things, and let them fabricate their own "encounters." It's easy to imagine a breeze or the feeling of being followed. It would be nice to believe that some of the occurrances were real though.

By Kriss on Thursday, April 26, 2001 - 04:35 am:

I was not consulted on the shows using the pentagrams. I dont agree with the use of it in this context.

The show is FEAR, the cast is supposed to be scared, but I am hoping they will let the cast investigate more this time, and they have told me that is the case. Hopefully we will have no more critter dares. These places are really haunted, and I think we can be entertaining and investigate at the same time.

Please go to www.mtv.com then to the FEAR message board. Tell them your opinions. The producers do read the board.

By P.R. on Saturday, April 28, 2001 - 01:39 am:

Am I the only one noticing that, on some shows, one person will perform 3-4 dares while another person might perform only 1.

I don't mean 3-4 little dares either. On the last show, the one with the plantation, one girl did about 3-4 different dares, some of them lasting for hours on end. Then you have a guy who did NOTHING as far as dares are concerned until the very last one, where he picked up a snake (a constrictor, yes, but a snake that I've seen kids pick up and pet at Boy Scouts) and did a stupid little circle dance with it.

Come on MTV, spread it out. Yes, it might not always be controllable (as when lots of people drop out), but on the show I'm referring to, the only person to drop out left after doing 3 dares, only to return after her last one to find out SHE HAD TO GO AGAIN, WITHIN 60 SECONDS. Ridiculous.

By Kriss on Sunday, April 29, 2001 - 03:46 am:

I wasnt at this location during production, so I dont know what happened, but I also noticed this. I didnt like it either, and I'm sure she feels like she earned more than her share of the money. Supposedly the computer picks a cast member at random, but I think this was a bit much.

I dont know what to say, except that I have no control over any of this. Post this on the Fear message board at www.mtv.com The producers to read the posts.

By Burning_Valhalla on Sunday, May 6, 2001 - 05:28 pm:

"I was also distressed to see the scene where the girl had to chop off the head of the dead chicken, the show narrators then went on to describe how satanist and pagans often use blood in their rituals....While I know this is mostly true for Satanists, it is NOT true for Pagans. I don't know of any fellow pagans out there who use blood or dead animals in their spiritual work."

You obviously know nothing about Satanists or their practices. While this may be the popular conception of how Satanists spend their time, it is merely another stereotype just like those that have been placed upon the Wiccan belief system.

Cutting the heads off chickens and ritualistic sacrifice of any living creature is a practice reserved for moronic teenage psuedo "devil-worshippers" not real Satanists.

I suggest that before you complain about any wrongful assuptions or stereotypical references made in regard to the Wiccan or Pagan belief structure, that you take the time to examine your own steretypical categorization of things. It is extremely hypocrital of you otherwise.

By Kriss on Wednesday, May 9, 2001 - 02:40 am:

I dont know where you are getting your information concerning Wicca, but I know for a fact that some Wiccans do use blood for rituals, whether real or symbolic.

I am not going to argue every little point in each episode. MTV is not stupid, they have the budget to pay people to research these things, and they do. I am a paranormal investigator, not a screen writer. I ghost hunt and find locations. Those are the questions I can answer.

By Anonymous on Thursday, May 10, 2001 - 10:22 pm:

Hey Kriss, if MTV ever plans to come to Washington, send me a message. I heard of a place that is said to be extremely haunted, as well as just plain freaky.

By Jonesa324 on Sunday, May 13, 2001 - 06:02 pm:

hey Anonymous..I live in Washington and I have been looking for people who might want to check some places out. I know of a few places in Seattle. email me if you know of any places in Seattle or outside of the city

By Anonymous on Thursday, May 17, 2001 - 05:08 pm:

There's a place in Renton, WA called "The 13 Steps of Hell." I am new to this area, so I don't know if this is a widely known location. I also got this information from someone who has never been, and couldn't convince any of his military friends to go because they were too scared!
The rumor is, in the middle of an old graveyard on a secluded dirt road, there is a set of 13 steps that lead into the ground. If you go all the way to the bottom, you will see yourself in Hell, IF you survive. The guy I heard all of this from showed me information of the place on the internet, but I don't know where. I'm sure if you just looked around a little, you could find it. He also said he has never heard of anyone surviving. (My question in,if no one has survived, how do you know what they see?)
Anyway, hope this helps. Sorry I didn't have more specifics.

By Anonymous on Thursday, May 17, 2001 - 05:08 pm:

There's a place in Renton, WA called "The 13 Steps of Hell." I am new to this area, so I don't know if this is a widely known location. I also got this information from someone who has never been, and couldn't convince any of his military friends to go because they were too scared!
The rumor is, in the middle of an old graveyard on a secluded dirt road, there is a set of 13 steps that lead into the ground. If you go all the way to the bottom, you will see yourself in Hell, IF you survive. The guy I heard all of this from showed me information of the place on the internet, but I don't know where. I'm sure if you just looked around a little, you could find it. He also said he has never heard of anyone surviving. (My question in,if no one has survived, how do you know what they see?)
Anyway, hope this helps. Sorry I didn't have more specifics.

By Witchenn on Friday, June 22, 2001 - 04:12 am:

With the exception of one person on this section Ive read, I keep seeing the word PENTAGRAM, If you truely knew anything about wicca, then you would also KNOW its is a PENTACLE. A Pentacle consists of an up-right 5 point star with a circle around it. A pentagram is an upside down version of one of these. please get it straight if you are going to act like you know.

The tv show Fear is very disappointing, number one they dont show enough footage of any one thing enough for us to even really see anything, IF anything is happening. They constantly zip back and forth in a whirling confusing manner meant to tease us with nothing. They suck. Just about the same thing goes for the foxfamily show as well.

By Matthew on Sunday, June 24, 2001 - 05:11 pm:

Well you know... there IS a reason that Ghosts and stuff are not 100 percent Proven FACTS... they cant always catch them on film.... Foxfamily and Fear are ENTERTAINMENT first.... maybe 90 percent Entertainment, 10 percent science... and im being generous.. Thats why i could never get picked for this show.. im WELL aware that most "ghosts" i would see would be something i created in my own head. Still.. its just as scary in my OWN head as anything out THERE!
heh

By Bmwright2 on Thursday, June 28, 2001 - 05:37 am:

#1 Mathew, your DAMN right, MTV practices age discrimination
#2 Pentagrams and Pentacles are the same the "only" diffrence is the circle around the pentacle. Trust me, I'm going for my PHD. in anthropology, specifically dealing with ancient religions and culture.
#3 Blood "was" used in pagan and wiccan (actually, wicca is pagan) rituals as well as sacrifice. Don't get me wrong these things happened over 2000 years ago. Would we find it horrid if it happened in a South American tribe that is far away from man today? Probably not, it's part of that culture. Who are we to impose our belief system on others, who knows 1 way of doing htings for thousands of years. I don't see anybody giving Catholics grief over there sordid history. The point is, Witchenn, it happened, it doesn't now and Wicca is far better than about 95% of what's out there.
Who ever heard of you going door to door trying to show off your book of shadows?

By Carla on Saturday, January 19, 2002 - 06:44 pm:

I wanted to post a message here, being new to this site. My name is Carla Baron, and I was the official 'in-house' psychic, on- and off-camera, for MTV's FEAR. Kriss, whose postings dot throughout the 'FEAR' discussions, is absolutely being honest with you. I bore witness to these events first-hand, as did she as ghost hunter for the show, and I back her story 100%. She is, indeed, very knowledgeable in these areas, as am I. For the show, I would document on-camera sensory perceptions of the locations, history, those spirits which have 'passed on', etc. I also would prepare the cast members for their spiritual encounters in each location, as well as, personal psychic readings the day of shooting. (The readings 'opened' them up even further to perhaps understand, cope, and finally process the happenings which were about to occur.) As a clairvoyant/clairaudient, I do attest to the credibility of FEAR and its hold on those of us in the third dimension. The show is REAL, guys.... let there be no doubt!

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"