The Evangelical Christian Church in Canada (Christian Disciples), as a mainstream non-denominational Stone-Campbell Restoration Movement in North America, traces its historic roots to the formal organization of the Christian Church in 1804 in Bourbon County, Kentucky, U.S.A., and in 1810 near Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, Canada under the leadership of Barton Warren Stone (1772-1844), a former Presbyterian minister. The Barton Stone Movement later merged with the efforts of Thomas Campbell (1763-1854) and his son Alexander Campbell (1788-1866) to become the Restoration Movement that gave birth to the Churches of Christ (Non-Instrumental), the Christian Churches and Churches of Christ, The Christian Church (Disciples of Christ), and The Christian Connection. The emphasis on religious freedom, Christian unity, and a commitment to the priesthood of all believers became strong enough that Barton Stone avoided any man-made ecclesiastical traditions that resulted in a movement that was "largely without dogma, form or structure," committing only to a primitive Christianity. This movement sought to restore the whole Christian church and the unification of all Christians in a single body patterned after the church of the New Testament. In a nutshell, it was believed that the church had departed from the New Testament model by following the traditions of man. On June 28, 1804, they adopted the name the "Christian movement" to identify their group with Barton Stone based on its use in Acts 11:26 which became the remnants of the Springfield Presbytery. Of the majority of independent churches that aligned with the "Disciples movement" which identified with the Campbell's group, decided to use the name the "Christian Disciples," until it was renamed The Evangelical Christian Church (Christian Disciples) in 1860.